- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 8-10 dried red chillies
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Marinate the chicken pieces with soy sauce and Shaoxing wine for about 15 minutes.
For the sauce, in a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, black vinegar, hoisin sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Set it aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or large pan over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry until it's mostly cooked through, then remove it from the pan.
In the same pan, add the garlic, ginger, dried chillies, and diced bell pepper. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan. Stir in the prepared sauce, and add peanuts.
Stir well until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is fully cooked.
Garnish with the chopped green onions, then serve hot with rice.